Friday, May 3, 2013

Foot Review: Fancy Trim Foot!!

In my quest to try out all my new specialty sewing machine feet this year, I encountered an opportunity to try out another sewing machine foot that came with my Singer Quantum Stylist 9960.  It's called the "Fancy Trim Foot"!!
 
L ~ Fancy Trim Foot
R ~ Shank/Ankle
 
Fancy Trim Foot.  Notice the channel in the front to insert trim.

Foot and Ankle attached.
It's a little on the "pricey" side at $49.99 for a plastic foot.  It also requires a special shank/ankle which is a separate purchase at $9.99, but I think it's totally worth the price.  Being clear plastic also allows you to see where your trim is in the channel as it's stitching.  I did the trials on my Singer Quantum  L-500 which is my "go to" machine.  If you'd like to read my review of the Singer Quantum L-500, please check it here.  Talk about giving a "Professional Look" to a project!!  Not only did it give a great look, it made the job go quickly.  Check this out.
 
 
Unfortunately I wasn't able to engage the Dual Feed on my L-500 with this foot
since there isn't a cutout in the back of the foot.
Foot attached to the L-500 with the double needle inserted.
 
Foot set up and ready to stitch
video
Watch it in ACTION.
 
I wanted to sew down ribbon on the project I'm working on, but I didn't want it to look uneven or have to single needle stitch it in 2 directions.  I pulled out my double needle, which had the perfect spacing to stitch down my 1/4" ribbon.  Wowzaa!!  Was that easy and looks perfect if I do say so myself.  Sewing on trims can sometimes be a little challenging at times to make it look great, but this foot is a complete winner and made sewing down ribbon a breeze.  It had the perfect size channel for the ribbon to guide into the needles perfectly.  For my project I used black thread on black ribbon, however I used a contrasting color thread and ribbon for a better visual demo for photographing.  I can see that using a contrasting thread and a decorative stitch would also give a nice design detail for future projects.
 
Here's the final results!!
 
 
 
I think this Fancy Trim Foot is a Winner!!  I hope if you own this foot you will give it a try on a project.  I can think of lots of applications for using this foot.  The only drawback to this foot is that it will only work with trims up to about 3/8" wide.  This foot will still accommodate most trims.  Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.  Have a Happy Creative Day!!
 

2 comments:

  1. This is super THANK YOU! Where did you purchase this, and do you know of a jeans foot? I have the XL550,HD5532, and the Singer One Plus. Thank you and I will post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you found this helpful!! At the top of the post there is a clickable link "Fancy Trim Foot" highlighted in red. Just click on it and it will take you to Singer where this foot is available for purchase.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a comment and have a Happy Creative Day!!